How to contact us:
Department of Roads & Bridges - (401) 822-9110
General Sanitation & Recycling Concerns - (401) 822-9110
Recycling and Solid Waste Coordinator* - (401) 822-6244
*For any questions regarding the new Automated Trash Program CLICK HERE for more information about the program.
We are located directly behind the Town HAll and Library and share a parking lot at
1668 Flat River Road
Fax Number - (401) 822-9141
The Recycling and Silid Waste Coordinator is also available via email . CLICK HERE to send an email now regarding any questions, comments or concerns in reference to the new Automated Trash and Recycling Program.
PLEASE NOTE: STYROFOAM IS NOT RECYCLABLE CURBSIDE. PLEASE SEE http://atoz.rirrc.org/ FOR MORE INFO.
Follow us on Facebook: CLICK HERE
Hours of Operation
Summer hours begin the first Monday after the last day of school. Summer Hours begin on June 29, 2015 and end August 28, 2015
Roads and Bridges/Building Maintenance Divisions
Winter hours 7:00 am to 3:30 pm
Summer hours 6:00 am to 2:30 pm
Winter hours 7:00 am to 3:00 pm
Summer hours 6:00 am to 2:00 pm
Recycling/Solid Waste Coordinator
9:00 am to 2:00 pm
Transfer Station Hours
Monday through Friday
Winter Hours 7:30am-12:00pm and 12:30pm-3:00pm
Summer Hours: 6:30am-12:00pm and 12:30pm-2:00pm
The Department of Public Works consists of 8 different divisions. They are: Engineering, Building Inspector, Roads and Bridges, Snow Removal, Building Maintenance, Garbage Collection and Disposal, and Vehicle Maintenance. The department is responsible for the engineering, maintenance and construction of roads and bridges along with storm water systems, traffic and street signs, winter storm operations and sanitation services.
The Engineering Division provides advisory and inspection services to many different boards and commissions, especially to the Planning Commission. The Engineering Division is located at 1675 Flat River Rd. in the Town Hall Annex Building, in the Planning Department Office. Telephone number (401) 822-9182
The Building Inspector's office is located separately at 1675 Flat River Road, The Town Hall Annex building, but works with the Engineering Division in issuing new building permits, 911 addressing, ISDS compliance, subdivision and other regulation compliance, provides review of plans, and inspects construction. The Telephone number is (401) 822-9156
The Building Maintenance Division, which is responsible for the upkeep and general maintenance of all municipal buildings and grounds, with the exception of those belonging to the School Department or Parks and Recreation.
Removal of weekly household garbage and recyclables
The Public Works Department provides curbside removal of household trash and recyclables to over 2000 homes daily.
- On Mondays, we pick up in the western end of town.
- On Tuesdays, we are in the center of town, in the vicinity of the Town Hall and Wood Estates.
- On Wednesdays we go to the northeastern part of town, and
- On Thursdays we go to the southeastern section.
- On Fridays, we are in the area of Hopkins Hill, Arnold Road, and New London Tpk.
With such a large number of houses being collected during the week it is important to us to try to provide the proper information to residents to ensure collection of waste material.
Sanitation Holiday Schedule
Our Sanitation Department observes eleven holidays. During these holidays we are one day delayed on Garbage and Recycling Pickups. These holidays are:
Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, VJ Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day.
Sanitation services are only provided for single family homes, duplexes, and owner-occupied triplexes. All others must contract for all disposal needs.
It should be noted that no resident shall have more than one (1) container for each member of a family unit for garbage and trash collecton.
- Place curbside no more than 24 hours prior to collection
- Place curbside by 7:00 am on collection day, (6:00 am in Summer)
- Place in a secure (30 gallon) rodent proof barrel or can
- Trash must be bagged or contained, no loose trash in barrels or cans
- Barrels can not weigh over 55 lbs.
- Place in an area not obstructed by vehicles or mailboxes
Click "THIS LINK" For Recycling Information
Place curbside by 7:00 am on collection day, (6:00 am in Summer).
- Accepted recycling items are: Mixed Paper, mail, envelopes (windows okay) magazines catalogs, phonebooks, paperbacks, cards, all newspaper, cardboard boxes such as cereal, cracker, or cookie boxes, egg cartons, shoe boxes, gift boxes, tissue boxes, pasta boxes, (no pizza boxes, frozen food boxes, soda boxes, beer boxes, detergent boxes, or clothing)
- Corrugated cardboard shall be cut into 2 foot x 3 foot pieces and bundled into 6 inch stacks and put on top of your recycling bin.
- PLEASE NOTE: STYROFOAM IS NOT RECYCLABLE CURBSIDE. PLEASE SEE http://atoz.rirrc.org/ FOR MORE INFO.
We provide collection of bulky household items (such as a couch or refrigerator) which require two people to pick up, by appointment, usually on your regular trash day. Call 822-9110 to schedule an appointment. Please note: we do not pick up construction materials, auto parts, or household hazardous wastes.
We will no longer be collecting lawn and leaf bags until April of 2016, weather permitting.
- Separation of yard waste from garbage is mandatory.
- Yard waste is taken to a state licensed composting facility.
- Yard waste is picked up curbside in specific paper bags or barrels.
- Do not put in any dirt or sand.
- Place at curbside no more than 24 hours before the scheduled pick-up.
- If you are unable to wait for our pickup you may bring yard waste to the transfer station during
Christmas trees are collected curbside during the month of January. No tinsel, plastic bags, ornaments, lights, or stands. You may also bring them to our transfer station during the hours as listed above. No trees will be collected in plastic bags.
Household Hazardous Waste
The Rhode Island Resource Recovery corporation accepts the following materials: pesticides, herbicides, gasoline, oil-based paints, household solvents, automotive fluids, pool chemicals, photographic chemicals from your home by appointment only. Please Call (401)942-1430 ext. 241 to set up an appointment or to schedule a drop off date.
Transfer Station/Recycling Center
Coventry residents may bring construction materials from home projects to our drop off facility four times per year with proof of residency and the purchase of a Dump Pass for $20.00. The Dump Pass can be purchased at the DPW office Located behind Town Hall.. Also accepted are clothing, paper, metal, tires, batteries, and used motor oil
It should be noted that an additional charge of $20.00 each for mattresses and/or box springs. An additional charge of $25.00 each for air conditioners, freezers and refrigerators will be assessed and must be paid prior to drop off or curbside pickup.
Unfortunately, cash is the only accepted form of payment collected at the DPW Office.